Unusual: East déjà vu?

East is considered to be worse conference than West in recent 20 years as there are less contenders and great teams. However, it doesn’t mean nothing interesting happens there as there were unusual playoff runs. This year it seems like there is something different as there is a new set of contenders, but is it really something new? I have some déjà vu with unusual playoff run which happened in recent history…

In 2019 NBA Playoffs East was finally wide-open as it was (finally) no LeBron in this conference. There were 3 contenders – 60-wins Bucks, 58-wins Raptors and 51-wins Sixers (with Butler and Harris acquired during the season). Bucks had an easy path to ECF as they lost just one game on the way to it and waited for opponent. And Sixers-Raptors series we all know was legendary, finished in style with shot from Mr. Kawhi, who wasn’t shy, when season was on the line.

This year we have 3 big contenders in Sixers, Nets and Bucks. Sixers have easy path to ECF and in second round we will probably see big battle between Nets and Bucks. See similarities? Probably this series is going to be long – I expect it to have 7 games, be on the highest level and really entertaining for fans. It’s crazy to think, but it may be even better series than Raptors-Sixers from 2 years ago… and the winner of this series will have so much confidence that can beat Sixers and make it to the Finals like Raptors did 2 years ago.

FP Advice: Save your Sixers for ECF and don’t be surprised if you use 2 (or more) players from both Nets&Bucks in second round (unless you’re going all-in on the winner of the series).

Worth keeping an eye on: last 2 years in second round of the playoffs 1-4 match-ups from both conferences played on the same day and 2-3 match-ups also played together. However, 3 years ago it was different... It is worth keeping an eye on as some series have clearer favorite (like potential Lakers and Sixers series) and could start even during game 7 of first rounds. But it will be revealed later and they probably choose it depending on some other factors. But keep an eye on this and think about long-term strategy before second round, because it impacts later rounds.

Surprising possible déjà vu: Underdog Heat vs. favorite Bucks. I feel like we saw it… yeah, it was last year. Heat were fifth seed, but they were great in bubble and despite being first seed, Bucks had no answer for them and they almost got swept. This year it seems like Bucks are way stronger and Heat are a lot weaker, but you never know... No one talks about Miami, they had some troubles during regular season, but they will be tough opponent and this series could be longer than 4 or 5 games. Of course Milwaukee is clear favorite, but Miami is really uncomfortable match-up for anyone and the hardest to get being in top3 in East. I expect this to be entertaining series. I don’t rule out 7 game series and we all know that wild things can happen in game 7.


 

What do you think about this year's East? Do you also see similarities to 2019 playoffs and think that the winner of this tough second round series will get big confidence boost to make the Finals? Let me know in the comments ;)

Comments

  1. Great read! The big difference I think is that Brooklyn is just too loaded & not really comparable to the Sixers or Raptors from 2019. I don’t think the Bucks will push that series to 7, but we shall see. If Brooklyn is fully healthy I think they’ll be too much for pretty much anybody... aside from maybe King James & company in the West. But hopefully the Sixers can also give them trouble if it comes to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;) well, yes, I think league is more loaded now ;) Bucks won last two regular games with Nets, when Harden didn't play and Milwaukee really has some answers defensively if they put Tucker on C instead of Lopez in long stretches. I still think Nets are a little bit more likely to win, but not much as this is the best Bucks version in Giannis era and they are contenders for real. Still Nets looks like championship favorite, but lot of things can happen in this playoffs...

      Delete
  2. The East is really interesting this year. I do agree that I see the winner of Milwaukee vs Brooklyn riding that momentum all the way to the finals.

    I think last year was a bit of an anomaly for the Heat. They upset the Bucks but in the bubble they had a sort of home court advantage due to the unusual circumstances. I also think the Bucks were distracted last year by what was going on in the outside world. I expect the Bucks to win this series, but I do have my eye on Miami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year was considered lucky for Heat, but they really played well and if they can do their best against Bucks, it will be really good 1st round series (way better than NYK-ATL :P). Of course Bucks are way better and focused than last year, so they're expected to win, but I think a lot of people underestimate power of this Heat team ;)

      Delete
  3. Just on a basketball chemistry sense, I’d root for the Sixers. It will be a good feeling to see them come out of the East, to see Embiid, Simmons and Doc there. But I’m not betting my money on them.

    Just because the Nets are just insane on paper. That’s where my money’s at — because it doesn’t listen to my feelings.

    The Bucks I think just lost their window the past two seasons. Giannis signing that new deal is his undoing. I don’t blame Giannis’ loyalty (for someone who is a Dirk fan) but Bucks org’s commitment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would say Bucks are better than before and with team they have now, they would win Championship in 2019, but now they're not favorites... but I still see small window for them to make the Finals. I think they match-up pretty well against those great Nets and they showed it in last two regular season games, but still it'll be tough to see them winning whole series against those Nets...

      Delete
    2. As always I’ll be rooting for the underdogs in each series while also secretly wanting Lakers vs Nets showdown. At the very least a Battle of LA showdown in the conference finals. But yeah, that said I’ll be rooting for the Suns, the Blazers, prob the Bucks actually cuz the Heat had their moment last year, I guess the Sixers, def the Knicks cuz that’s just fun, etc

      Delete
    3. Yes, so I'm not the only one who usually loves surprising results in series despite making it more difficult in FP ;) well, I'll be rooting especially for Wizards, Mavs and whoever wins 8th seed on West ;)

      Delete
  4. My big doubt about the Nets is if they will have enough chemistry to be at their best during the Playoffs. If they do they become the favourite. But how many games did they play together? Too many injuries to build the best chemistry. Anyway I think it will be a long series against the Bucks. But I agree the winner of that series would be my favourite against the Sixers. Because my Knicks won't have many chances to advance against the Hawks and upset the Sixers, right? Enough for me to see them back in the Playoffs after so many years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They played 8 games together, but we can consider that Harden&KD knows each other well because of their chemistry from OKC and Kyrie&Harden knows each other from US Team in 2014. Their depth is really scary for me and role players are really good... no one even mentioned Griffin, but he fits really well in my opinion. If they get rolling, they can win against Bucks in 5/6 games, but I think Bucks are really uncomfortable match-up defensively as they have really good individual defenders and that's why I think it'll be really interesting series, because Nets stars could get frustrated if they are well defended and shots aren't going in.

      Well, actually Knicks should be happy that they're playing Hawks and they really have a real chance to make it to 2nd round considering they won 3-0 against Atlanta in regular season ;) if they played Heat, they wouldn't be favorites ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes, some of them played together at some point. But I mean chemistry as a team, not only between the superstars. And I agree the Bucks are a better defensive team, so it will be interesting to see. Unless the Heat look like last year

      Delete
    3. I understand ;) I think chemistry as a team is good and it will only be better. Thanks for comments, it's great to have you here, as I remember you from previous editions :)

      Delete
  5. good read and agree with most of your points.Ill take the nets to come out but could be a few teams in contention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Nets look like the best team in East and if everything clicks, they should make the Finals, but we know that a lot of things can happen and this unpredictability is why we love sports ;)

      Delete
  6. A battle-tested team with something to prove (Bucks) against the loaded team with star power (Nets)? Remember the Hall-of-Fame Lakers from 04 that lost in the Finals against the No-All-Star-Pistons? Karl Malone never got his ring. James Harden hasn´t gotten his yet. Durant and Irving did, Harden has a lot of work to do yet. The Bucks might just surprise everyone.

    Or, you know, the might not. But at least I am reasonably sure they will get past Miami this time.

    But, while I don´t really see one of the first three seeds in the West in the Finals, I do not have enough imagination to see anybody outside the big 3 to come out of the East. That would pretty much mean homecourt for the Eastern Conference. Might be really interesting.

    Can anybody really imagine a Jazz - Bucks Finals? Or Suns - 76ers? That would be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today's game begins an hour later, if only that was the case yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Until tonight nothing happened in the play in but like an idiot I treated GS as a lock since they nearly beat the Lakers and instead I make the worst pick out of the only 3 that were made. Valanciunas fouls out and had 24 PAR as a result, Morant had 45 and biggest of all Stephen Curry had 48 in his last game of the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 47 for Morant 24 for Valanciunas and the Grizzlies pull the upset!

      Delete
    2. I had Valanciunas at first, but then I changed it to Curry as I thought that there is 60% chance Warriors win, but still 40% is too big to lose Curry and there is still Draymond for Warriors to pick in 1st round. So I'm glad I changed it and I only lost Westbrook because of play-in ;)

      Delete
    3. I'm with Maciej and only picked Westbrook as far as players whose team advanced. Honestly, these play-ins won't make a huge difference as far as how anyone picked as there will be plenty of high PRA potential guys throughout every day of the first round as long as you play your series predictions well enough from this point on. But yeah, def happy with Curry as I figured GSW would lose, but man, he almost proved me wrong. Or more like, the Memphis coaching staff almost BLEW the game. That blown challenge call is evidence enough for me to know that they WILL NOT beat the Jazz in the 1st Round.

      Delete
    4. Of course in Fantasy Postseason, we all still have Westbrook & everyone else so good luck to all as it's just getting started!

      Delete
    5. Yeah, I saw potential in Warriors upset over Jazz depending on Mitchell's form after injury, but against Grizzlies I think Jazz should win in 5.

      Delete

Post a Comment