Second Round Strategy

 Hey everyone!


The first round has concluded, with all series over by the end of the 6th game at the latest and all higher seeded teams moving on. We now have our four matchups locked-in. Let's examine what the DTTF strategy should be as we head into the second round of action. 


(1) Miami vs (4) Philadelphia

This series was looking like it might be a tough call, but with news that Joel Embiid is out indefinitely with a broken orbital and a mild concussion, that is probably enough to make the Miami Heat a safe bet to advance. The Embiid injury opens the door for Tobias Harris, James Harden, and Tyrese Maxey even bigger focal points on offense while he is out. It also might mean Gorges Niang needs to step-in to the starting lineup, but I would suggest waiting at least one day to see how the minutes and roles are distributed to those who will need to step in for Embiid. I would suggest picking a 76er early, particularly because this series is always on the same day as Dallas vs Phoenix and you might have already used one or two Mavericks in the first round. I will probably go with Tobias Harris, but an argument could be made for any of the big remaining three.


(1) Phoenix vs (4) Dallas

Betting on the 64 win Phoenix Suns is probably the smart call here, but with the Embiid injury making Philadelphia more vulnerable you can probably give this series at least one game. Luka Doncic and Jalen Brunson are cooking right now and are must-picks, and Dallas also has a variety of other role players like Spencer Dinwiddie, Dorian Finney-Smith, Reggie Bullock, Dwight Powell, and Maxi Kleber who can all put up some points on the right night. I'd save Luka and Brunson for the home games and wait on some of the role players to get a gauge on how their minutes might be looking in a matchup with Phoenix. 


(2) Boston vs (3) Milwaukee

This series is a very tough call, as Boston looked dominant in the first round and Milwaukee, as defending champs, demand respect. With Middleton out, I would give the edge to Boston here, but ideally you will want to give this series a game. The challenge is that this series shares the same day in the schedule as Memphis vs Golden State, so no matter what you are going to be making a very tough call. If you want to go with a Buck early, Jrue Holiday, Grayson Allen, and Bobby Portis are all more focal points on offense with Middleton out.


(2) Memphis vs (3) Golden State

Memphis is a young team coming off a tough first round series against an equally young Timberwolves squad. The Grizzlies needed a variety of 4th quarter miracles to outlast Minnesota and move on to the second round. Golden State dispatched of Denver in impressive fashion, and their proven veteran core of Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green is buoyed by Jordan Poole arriving on the scene in a big way. I would say Golden State is the favourite in this series, but only slightly, due to their experience and finally having their core relatively healthy again. For this reason, I plan to pick a Grizzly player early. The Grizz are deep with Ja Morant, Desmond Bane, Dillon Brooks, Jaren Jackson Jr, and Brandon Clark. I will start at the top in Google Drive with Ja Morant, and in fantasy postseason with the round multiplier I will start closer to the end with Brandon Clark. 


May your picks bee as good as possible!



Comments

  1. Due to a different matchup than previous round, Dwight Powell will have more minutes and will eat into Klieber’s.

    I’m not betting against the Mavs, but if you are to pick one early, settle for Dwight in G1 or G2.

    I’m picking Booker in G1. Lesgo Mavs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was wrong about Klieber. He got himself more minutes by his early treys. Congrats guys if you stuck with Klieber.

      Locked-on Suns podcast was right, Suns doesn’t know what to do with Klieber just yet.

      Suns were ready for Luka-Dwight dynamic, didn’t let that simmer. Hence the horrible Mavs 1st quarter.

      But overall happy for the Mavs. Great last 3 quarters should carry their momentum them into G2.

      Lesgo Mavs!

      Delete
    2. You know I like the Mavs, but I LOVE the Suns. This is our year. Phoenix Rising baby!

      Delete
    3. my son roots for the Suns so I understand :P

      if the Suns advance, and they should, then the family roots as one for the Suns (sans the mom who will be watching Koreanovelas on another screen hehe).

      unless the Celtics end up in the Finals. lesgo Celtics!

      Delete
  2. good blog today..I got Morant then Harden,,Feel the same as u do on all the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It gets more and more difficult to comment here without a google account which I don´t have and don´t plan on getting. Something changed, and not for the better (for me). But that´s not the point.

    Start of the second round, I have everybody left except for Brunson and Dinwiddie. It SEEMS you can predict most of the round. Philadelphia is missing Embiid, Milwaukee is without Middleton, the East looks clear. In the West the Warriors have the edge in experience, as do the Suns. So, easy picking, right?

    Yes. Just as easy and logical as it was to start picking Mavericks in the first round, because they would surely lose against the experienced Jazz without Doncic. That prediction didn´t age well.

    I will with picking 76ers in both games and stay away from the Mavs, and then I hope Clarke and Portis will give me a few points before I can decide who I think will advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mostly agree with all of your predictions. I already picked both Dinwiddie and Brunson (which I don't feel bad about, as they gave me very good scores), and I feel like the Heat would be a bit favourite even if Embiid was playing. So now I feel even more safe about picking Sixers early. And I will go with Harden, as I think he will need to be extra aggresive on offense. Maybe the Heat defense will be a tough one, but it will be the same later. Or even worse if they adjust from G1

    I will stay away from the Celtics-Bucks series for now, as it is the most unpredictable for me. Even without Middleton, there's always a Greek Freak capable of winning a series for himself. And I think the Warriors are favourite to advance, and anyway there's enough reliable Grizzlies to pick from. I am also picking Morant, as I expect a bounce back game to start the series, and same as with Harden I prefer to pick him early before they make some adjustments to his defense

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the hell is wrong with Harden! He looks slow and basically out of shape and does not care. No aggressiveness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of like “Embiid not playing, we have no chance, why bother and risk injury. We’re gonna lose this game anyways.”

      Delete
    2. I dunno. I expect a bounce-back from him. He's in prime position for it. He simply has to get double digit assists and over 20 pts this next game. I refuse to believe he's incapable of that.

      Delete
  6. Jackson jr and Tobias for me for game2. Probably one game too late to pick both of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be more nervous for JJJ. He's very inconsistent.

      Delete
    2. He was not bad at the half, but disappeared later. Foul trouble as usual, plus Morant doing everything himself.

      Anyway, I thought the Warriors were favourite. Now I want them to advance. That Brooks foul was too dirty for me. I totally agree with Steve Kerr there

      Delete
    3. I agree the foul was dirty. But also The Warriors have a history of dirty plays and 'breaking the code'. Doesn't take too long to find videos of Draymond Green knocking guys out of the air and also kicking people. I mean, you only have to look as far back at game 1. Steve Kerr was a defender of Zaza Pachulia when he took Kawhi out of the playoffs back in 2017. Pretty much sums it all up.

      Delete
    4. I am not a Warriors fan, and especially not Draymond's. I said multiple times I don't like a lot of his behavior. But I can't compare his play in game1 with this one. I am sorry but it's not the same at all. Draymond is probably the opposite to sportsmanship, but this one was a very dangerous play. And about Kerr I just said I agree with him this time, I disagree with him on other ones :)

      Delete
    5. Yeah I think that makes sense. That Brooks play was extra dirty. I would also rather see the Warriors win this series, as I think a Golden State vs Phoenix series would be super exciting to watch. Or Golden State vs Mavs, if somehow the Mavs can win lol

      Delete
    6. If the Mavs advance I'd be screwed...lol I don't think so, and I'd love to see the Suns and especially CP3 win a ring. I wish they did win in the Nash-Stoudemire-Marion era, what a fun team to watch they were

      Delete
    7. It'll be PHX vs GSW fellas. No doubt

      Delete
  7. I've nervous for the Celtics. No Marcus Smart yet it's essentially a MUST WIN. If I wasn't picking Ja Morant (a game late I'm sure) I'd be picking Jalen Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doncic put up 65 last night and Morant got 63 tonight as expected I did not pick either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. took jackson should have took Brown.Tonight Luka

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morant...69 Daily Pts on FP...BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Brown over Tatum in FP, that was the right choice for g2. At least I thought so up until the moment I learned that Brown had 25 pts in the first half. And he ended up with 30? Stupid blowouts.

    In GD, I had to decide between Morant and Bane. Was hoping for a bounceback from Bane. Lost more than 50 PRA against Ja. In one game. Ouch.

    In the meantime, the stars that are supposed to not go to the conference finals, that I did not pick yet, Morant and Doncic, both went for 65+ in their last game. Whenever I will pick either of them, it is going to be a disappointment.

    DTTF, what´s not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doncic picks are safe tonight since I didn't take him again. Instead I took an overhyped 76er

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 34 at the HALF is more than I could get ALL game from these bums on Philly!

      Delete
    2. Too bad he slowed down as players often do. I'll have him next game so fingers crossed...

      Delete

Post a Comment