Is it time to give up on the LA Clippers?

 Hey everybody!


The LA Clippers dropped into an 0-2 hole after losing both of their home games to the Dallas Mavericks. Conventional wisdom would say it is time to start picking from the Clippers, but the question for today is: Is it too soon to give up on the Clippers?


Historically, 31 teams have fallen 0-2 after losing their first two home games. While 27 of those teams went on to lose their series, there were 4 of them that came back to win. This includes the 2017 Boston Celtics and the 2005 Dallas Mavericks. While it is unlikely to happen, it certainly is possible


Reasons to believe in the comeback

The Clippers are a team boasting Kawhi Leonard as their centrepiece, and that means they should not be counted out too soon. They are loaded with talent and were one of the more talked about teams regarding potentially making the NBA finals. There is enough historical examples to suggest they have what it takes to complete this comeback. It is also hard to imagine this team getting swept, which means there is a chance they return home down 3-1 or tied 2-2, and from that point they could still have a good shot to pull this series out.


Reasons to doubt the comeback

The Mavericks are poised with Luka Doncic to start making their mark on the West, and the Clippers have a history as a franchise of horrific playoff failures. Losing the first two games at home for a franchise some might call cursed is ..... well, it's not ideal. They will need to find a way to slow down Doncic who now is going to be playing in a home environment.


My advice

I feel like picking a Clipper is going to be a popular choice today, and therefore there isn't significant risk if you want to be picking from them. If the Clippers advance you will be down a player, but pretty much everyone else will be down a player from the Clippers anyways. However, if Jayson Tatum is good to go tonight and you haven't picked him yet, I feel like that might be the better choice. The chances of the Celtics moving past the first round look even bleaker than the Clippers. And if the Clippers do start making a comeback, you now have an extra advantage in your back pocket to use at a later time because you can expect everybody else will be picking a Clipper tonight.




Comments

  1. I couldn't watch game2, as I can only watch games from friday to sunday due to late time of games in my country. So I don't know how did the Clippers look in game2. But certainly I wouldn't rule them out yet. Anyway, unluckily I picked Tatum for his great 14 PRA, and I don't trust Kemba even if he plays after being listed as questionable. So I will pick PG13, as you said it's a low risk pick. I would take the risk if I was low in the standings, but right now it doesn't make sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I picked Kemba in Game 2 and was saving Tatum for Game 3, but wasn't expecting the Clippers to be down 0-2. I had this saved for Tatum for a while, and I think I am going to stick with that since there is a good chance the Celtics are swept anyways.

      Delete
    2. PG13 is probably the most popular choice for now and with Kemba questionable it's logical considering most players don't have Tatum... I'm also sticking with George hoping for Mavs' win and George's nice game.

      Delete
    3. If you still have Tatum that's a good choice, of course. I doubt he will score another 14...lol

      I am still recovering from my team Barcelona winning Euroleague semi final in the last second. What a shot by Cory Higgins xD I guess on Sunday I will miss some NBA action to watch the final and the "rookie" Pau Gasol

      Delete
    4. Gonna be a tough final on Sunday between you and us :) We were so close to blow a 21 points lead against CSKA today.

      Anyway, I'm picking PG13 today. I really can't see how they would win 4 of the remaining 5 games, especially if Ty Lue continues to switch everything on defense. Dallas is just the better team with a way better coach imo.

      Delete
    5. Yes, definitely two best teams for the final. Larkin and Micic are such a good players, Barça defense will need to be better than today in the first 3 quarters. And have the best Mirotic and Davies to win. It will be interesting ;)

      Delete
    6. Unfortunately Larkin is not at his best form right now, which could be a defining factor in the final. He clearly has some issues with our coach Ergin Ataman. Hopefully they can both delay those issues at least for the final game.

      This is the last season of Micic (he's heading to Thunder), and I expect he'll be able to make his farewell with the chip :) GL on Sunday bro!

      Delete
    7. Larkin is always at his best against Barça, even when he played for his former team in Spain...lol Good luck, enjoy the game!

      Delete
    8. Congrats Onur, deserved winners. Your key players performed better than ours, Higgins apart

      Delete
    9. Thank you dude. It was an intense final, and as you said, Larkin and Micic performed at a high level.

      Delete
  2. How does Jason manage to do it again? lol Tatum with 50 regular points and 63 overall. I had already used him since no other series seemed like a given before game 2 to save Tatum for home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Common Mavs we need some OT!

      Delete
    2. Jason is me, so you can see my reasoning in the article :P

      Delete
  3. Yep congrats on the Tatum pick. 50 points-Nice! Didn't read this post till now. Mighta changed to a Clipper pick. Just so hard to believe the Clippers keep screwing up year after year. Where I live all I ever see is Clippers, Lakers and Celtics games. Went with Marcus Smart today. Changed out from Trae Young last minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart choice with Smart if you didn't have Tatum ;) Trae can be useful in second round if Hawks are going to win this series.

      Delete
  4. I think the Clippers could come back to win the series. Mavs FG% was unsustainable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Mavs still made over 50% of their 3's (20/39), but they made just 18/47 of their 2's (38%). They need to shot better inside, but also the pressure is on Clippers as they're still favorites to win series ;)

      Delete
    2. Clippers in 7, but I'm rooting for the Mavs. I haven't picked a player on either team yet.

      Delete
  5. good read today.Tatum was a super pick best pick so far.I had George was a average pick.Today Lillard.I feel Portland can win but they down 2-1

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment