BOLD PREDICTIONS: Welcome to Splitsville

First of all, about last night. Congrats to the Clips. I watched that whole game & it was one of the best successful comeback performances I’ve ever seen in my decades of watching the NBA. Montrezl Harrell also convinced me he’s worth picking so I’ll put him in my back pocket.



Now onto the first entry in my BOLD PREDICTIONS column. 

In Game 1 of the SAS/DEN series, Gary Harris led both teams with 20 points. BOTH TEAMS. That’s a ridiculous stat that’s made even more ridiculous because it's GARY HARRIS. My BOLD prediction is that BOTH Aldridge (15) & Jokic (10) will have 25 or more points in Game 2 & for good measure Derozan (18) will have at least 20. While I still wouldn’t pick from this series, if you’re confident in your series winner here, the opposite star should go big. 



The Raptors will win this game by a double-digit margin while Nikola Vucevic will have at least 20/10 in the losing effort. If you’re the most confident in the winner of this series out of all of today’s games,  then you may want to pick Mr. Nik. Alternately, if you think the Magic are going to win the series… then you’re just crazy. Augustin outscoring Lowry 25 to 0 is enough of an anomaly for me to understand that Game 1 was simply the Raptors’ Curse.


On to the Thunder vs. Blazers. Although this will be a close series, I’ve still got OKC with the edge unless they fall down by 2 games. That said, I predict Paul George will score at least 35 points & the Thunder will win Game 2 by a single digit margin in a somewhat dramatic fashion down the stretch. Maybe you want to pick Westbrook or George for this game, but in my opinion it’s too soon. They can easily win the series & you definitely want those guys for the later multiplier rounds (if you’re playing that format) if you can help it.


Be sure to come back to this post after tomorrow's games to see the RESULTS summary that I'll add here to the bottom.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS:
Gary Harris almost led the Nuggets in scoring again if you can believe it, but the Jamal Murray show edged him out by a point. Murray absolutely took over & won the game for the Nuggets. In the process, Jokic came up 4 points short of my prediction (21) while Aldridge came up a point short (24). However, Derozan did have well over 20 points ending the night with 31, but alas; close but no cigar. (Wrong)

Vucevic was a disaster. Honestly, he gave zero effort & completely reaffirmed they've probably won the only came they're going to win in this series. He had far from a 20/10 game with a mere 6/6, while Aaron Gordon was the only real bright spot in the starting unit. Vucevic has been a regular season pick-one nemesis of mine ever since I picked him the one game he decided to get injured in the 1st quarter. Now he's on my official shit list for good. (Wrong)

And keeping with the tradition of exactly how I started with this column last year, this 3rd prediction was also a giant bust. Are you kidding me that the Thunder are the only team currently down 2-0? They were 4-0 against the Blazers in the regular season. Give me a break. I still have faith & will not yet pick a Thunder. Please Westy, don't force my hand; get 2 wins in a row & even this up please. Paul George did not reach 35 & ended with only 27 in a 20 pt BLOW-OUT loss, which was a far cry from a single-digit dramatic win. (Wrong)

Current Bold Predictions Record: (0-3)

Comments

  1. After watching Jokic in this post, I can't help picking him today xD Does your bold prediction include a triple double?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided not to predict that because points will be most important to him today in my opinion & I already packed my predictions full of other things. Also, it’s almost more likely than not that he gets one or at least close to so it wouldn’t be all that “bold.” So I’d say go for it, but until DEN is down 2 games I still consider them slightly favored.

      Delete
  2. I always lose bantering and disagreeing with you Jerry, because it's fun. But today, to my surprise, I agree with this all. :P

    I feel like it's wise to steer clear of both the Western Series. The main reason is that they are both so close, and any of these four teams has a realistic shot at making it to the West Finals. That side of the bracket with Portland, OKC, Denver, and San Antonio, anything can happen. I'll wait it out a bit longer.

    On the other hand, even if Orlando somehow steals this series, they won't make it further into the East Finals. So picking an Orlando player today feels like a great way to mitigate risk. I've got Nikola Vucevic. Here's hoping your bold predictions come to fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will trust coach Pop. Maybe I am wrong, but anyway Denver has a few decent picks. And I prefer picking both Jokic and Vucevic at home. Also like to pick different from the logic sometimes. I can make a difference with this pick. Maybe for good, or maybe for bad, we will see. But I expect a big game from Jokic tonight

      Delete
    2. I can't argue with you following Rule 5 of my First Round Guide. Trust the gut feeling and roll with it.

      Delete
    3. Also, in my first post it should read that I always love bantering, not that I always lose bantering.

      Delete
  3. Westbrook for me here. I look at Portland roster and what they have done this year, and I believe they’ll win this series. Even if OKC wins G2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a brave man. Maybe if Kanter keeps giving them 20/20 type performances, but they're not quite used to playing with him like they were with Nurkic.

      Delete
    2. Bittersweet...

      OKC loses game and down 0-2,

      But Westbrook goes 5 of 20 FG. Ugh!

      Delete
  4. The NBA champ is up for grabs. Watched rerun of Warriors vs. Clips. GSW playing sloppy likely to catch up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i got George even of they win series id have westbrook adams and schroeder.Tough pick though I think series is a toss up but same with spurs series

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone but Vuc now seems wise. What a disaster. He played with zero effort. I hate that guy & he famously screwed me over during the reg season also when I picked him & got 1 or 2 PRA before he got injured in the 1st qtr. Total crap luck for me & this doofus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about Jamal Murray, he has only 4 PAR (including 0/7 from the field) into the 3rd quarter, probably won't reach the 15 Vucevic got. #SUPERINVISIBLEMAN

      Delete
    2. Yeah, but he wasn't on most people's radar as a pick. I meant any other strong considerations ended up better.

      Delete
    3. Orlando was up 1-0, Denver down 0-1 so I don't get why more would take an Orlando player over Denver?

      Delete
    4. Because, well, you saw the score of Toronto and Orlando ;)

      Delete
    5. Still have to lose 4 (well now 3) more games with two at home. A Denver loss could mean its last home game of the season.

      Delete
    6. By the way Murray is now ON FIRE!

      Delete
    7. Looks like I woke him up..... and the entire Nuggets team! I've got an idea and it involves picking Clippers, as many as possible!

      Delete
  7. I've added the RESULTS to the bottom of the post so please check them out to see how I fared with my BOLD PREDICTIONS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment