2019 First Round Preparation Guide

Last year, I wrote an article about the Steps to Navigate the First Round, linked below. If you'd like, read it to refresh yourself on those steps.
https://nbadrivetothefinals.blogspot.com/2018/04/steps-to-navigate-first-round.html

Let's apply them to the 2019 Postseason:

Step 1: Identify teams you expect to lose

I would argue that the LA Clippers are a clear team to pick to lose, that the top 4 teams in the East are solid choices, and that the other three series in the West are three to wait a little bit to see more information. So, early picks will be from Clippers and players in the East.

Step 2: Identify the top 14 players from teams you expect to lose.

Here are mine:
Lou Williams, LAC, 29 PRA
Danillo Gallinari, LAC, 29 PRA
Blake Griffin, DET, 37 PRA
Andre Drummond, DET, 34 PRA
Nikola Vucevic, ORL, 37 PRA
Aaron Gordon, ORL, 27 PRA
DeAngelo Russell, BKN, 32 PRA
Bojan Bogdanovic, IND, 24 PRA
LaMarcus Aldrige, SA, 33 PRA
DeMar DeRozan, SA, 33 PRA
*Donovan Mitchell, UTAH, 31 PRA
*Rudy Gobert, UTAH, 31 PRA
*Damian Lillard, POR, 36 PRA
*C.J. McCollum, POR, 27 PRA

*I am not confident in either of these two series, so I am prepared to substitute Russell Westbrook, Paul George, James Harden, and Chris Paul as needed.

Step 3: Watch for the days with only 2 games

That will be on Monday, with Brooklyn@Philadelphia and LA Clippers@Golden State. Be prepared for that day as there are fewer options than usual

Step 4: Consider saving a few studs for their home games

Step 5: Above everything else, trust your gut

Step 6: Join a League

This game is run on Fantasy Postseason. I have yet to check it out myself, but I'm signing up today. I'll ask Taong if he is running a league there this year and let him do a post about it if he is. I'll be running the Google Drive league, so comment for info about how to join that.


Comments

  1. Hi, Tangent, been playing Drive for a while now but since the NBA stopped doing the official game, I hadn't joined the google league. But i'm interested in joining this year if you could let me know how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send an email to jasonlind44@gmail.com and I'll forward you the link

      Delete
  2. Why should I care about the NBA playoffs? Now that Dirk retired? Sigh.

    About the only thing keeping me interested right now is this little game. Looking forward to it.

    Anything to take my mind of the retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the game for Fantasy Postseason is not happening this year. The postseason is starting tomorrow.

    If anyone is interested, u can go to this linked here. U can play for free, no need to bet on money. It’s called Showdown Captain Mode. Where you have to pick players under the $50,000 salary cap. Very similar to this fantasy game, but u get to pick 6 players from each slot plus the captain gets 1.5 bonus points. It has every game the games play for Saturday.
    https://www.draftkings.com/account/sitelogin/false?returnurl=%2Flobby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone! Nice to see a few old friends here :)

    I agree about Tangent's predictions of the series. I see top4 seeds advancing quite easily in the east. Same for the Warriors. I prefer to wait and see how the rest of the west starts. And I would add another step, picking injury-prone players as soon as possible.

    After a good year in Google Drive for the Regular Season I hope I can keep on track during the Playoffs. Also for those who are interested, I think this league on Fantasy Postseason has the same rules of last year.

    https://www.fantasypostseason.com/league/67892

    So it's PRA plus steals, blocks, turnovers, double double (3), triple double (8) and 30+ points (5)

    Enjoy the Playoffs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the link doesn't work. so hard just to sign up

      Delete
    2. Yeah I can't find that league either

      Delete
    3. Taong wrote the link below to sign up

      Delete
  5. so who is the pick for tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ll put some links at the headers later. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.fantasypostseason.com/league/contest_signup/67892

      Delete
    2. Thanks I’m in. I thought this game was not happening.

      Delete
  7. Should be another fun spring with watching NBA all day today!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tangent’s tip on Step3, taking that, I am shying away from picking a Clipper.

    Day1: ORL Vucevic
    Day2: DET Drummond

    Looking at how the West Game 1s fare first before setting my Game 2 picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am picking Gallinari today. I know there's only one more game on monday, but I am confident to pick someone from Brooklyn or even Lou Williams on that day. And game2 of Orlando is on the same day of Denver-San Antonio and Portland-OKC, two series I don't want to pick from just yet.

      For tomorrow I also have Drummond, since I don't know if Griffin is healthy enough for this game.

      Good luck everyone!

      Delete
  9. I should have got on this blog a few days ago. Second year private league has 14 members. Looking to fill out to 20 next year. Jerry and Jason are in. DK scoring with round multiplier. First day was wild with 2 7's and 1 6 winning. I'll guess 70+% Drummond ownership for day 2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that´s off to a great start. As usual.

    Day 1, and we have three wins of the road teams? Is that even allowed? West 2 and both East 2 and 3 lose game 1.

    Then I come back, go to Fantasy Postseason and find that Griffin is out already? I had to pick from the Houston Utah game that I absolutely do not want to pick from. I started with Griffin exactly because he is injuryprone. Doesn´t even play in g1? Ugh, that doesn´t bode well for the Pistons.

    Ah, frustrations from the beginning. DTTF wouldn´t be the same without those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least you didn't get stuck with Drummond, blow out, ejection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, this wasn't problematic. He got his double-double & was about to sit for the rest of the game within two minutes of that ejection anyway as the game was a massive blow-out. I'm happy with the points from him. Picking from the series that end the quickest is the way to go & both Williams & Drummond did their job getting decent stats while assuring me there's no chance either of their teams will win more than a game & most likely will be swept.

      Delete
  12. I finally picked somebody on a team who lost!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 15: Gallinari
    16: Westbrook
    17: Gobert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you dont't see a long series between Por and Okc..interesting.

      Delete
    2. You may be right. Portland can’t shoot 60% overall and 7-10 from three again. And Thunder had a bad G1

      Delete

Post a Comment