First Round Series Updates: Halfway Point

 Hey everyone!


We are roughly just past the halfway point of the first round, and the classic Drive to the Finals logjams are starting to unfold. Let's take a look at each series, and what each one means for DTTF purposes.


Golden State 3, Denver 0

This series should be just about over, as Golden State has looked dominant over Denver. There is a chance this series stretches to 5 games but almost certainly will be over before game 6. Nikola Jokic has been picked by nearly everyone at this point, and that is really the only Denver Nugget worth considering. If you really need to pick a Nugget today in order to play it safer in the other series, you can choose from Aaron Gordon, Will Barton, and Monte Morris. As someone who picked John Collins recently for similar reasons of trying to wait out other series, I can say from firsthand experience that the strategy can leave you underwhelmed if you get stuck with a dud.


Milwaukee 2, Chicago 1

After Chicago pulled off an upset win in game 2 and with Kris Middleton out for the foreseeable future, it would make sense that DTTF players might hesitate on picking more Bulls in game 3. That is exactly what I did when I swapped my planned Demar Derozan pick to John Collins. Although Collins struggled, Demar was not much better so in the end I don't mind the results and instead more regret that I didn't go Bogdanovic instead. Chicago absolutely stunk up on their own home court and lost by 30. They could come back strong and win game 4, but I don't see much reason to bank on that considering game 3. I think you need to pick your best Bulls player now while you have the chance. Demar Derozan and Nikola Vuceivic are both must pick, and Zach Lavine feels that way too. With Boston vs Brooklyn in a potential game 5 on the same day as Chicago vs Milwaukee, the potential logjam is real.


Miami 2, Atlanta 1

Atlanta pulled off a close win in game 3, extending the series. That being said, I've seen little reason to doubt the Heat. Almost everyone has picked Trae Young, and if you are looking for a second Hawk to pick, Bogdanovic would seem to be your best potential play. I wouldn't do that today considering Chicago vs Milwaukee, but might be something to consider for future days as other teams get eliminated.


Phoenix 2, New Orleans 1

The Pelicans stole a game in Phoenix and Booker is out for a while. And yet, they gave a game right back on their homecourt. Phoenix is still the favourite here, but at a minimum this series has good potential to go to six games. Brandon Ingram and CJ McCollum are both must-pick (unless you expect New Orleans to win) and Jonas Valanciunas is somewhat inconsistent but has potential for monster games. I still feel Bulls players are the priority today but Pelicans will need to be looked at in the coming days.


Philadelphia 3, Toronto 1

Toronto was able to avoid the sweep thanks to a close home win. Scottie Barnes' return is big for Toronto, but we shouldn't expect them to come all the way back. Pascal Siakam is the only real must-pick from Toronto, and facing game 5 on the road I wouldn't plan on picking any other Raptor player unless you are desparate, particularly because Boston vs Brooklyn game 4 is the same day. 


Boston 3, Brooklyn 0

After game 1, I was confident this series was going the distance. For this reason I waited on picking Brooklyn players, expecting I could pick them for Game 4 and 6 at home if needed. Instead, we now see a 3-0 Boston lead. Expect 100% of DTTF players to pick a Net star for Game 4. Kevin Durant is the clear choice as a bounce-back pick if you have him. Kyrie Irving will also be a strong pick, but if Brooklyn wins game 4, Kyrie might make for a better pick on the road where he will be looking to give the middle finger to the Celtic fans yet again. 


Memphis 2, Minnesota 2

This series is surprisingly close, but I don't expect Memphis to lose. But with the series tied 2-2, at a minimum you can wait an extra day if you still have Towns or Edwards left. That being said, if Chicago ties their series at 2-2, then both Chicago and Minnesota will play game 6 on the same day, so keep that in mind that you still might be forced to make a tough choice.


Dallas 2, Utah 2

Utah was on the ropes and pulled off a huge win at home. With Doncic back, there is a lot more reason to be optimistic in the Mavericks, but this series is clearly close and I don't see any reason to touch it until Game 6 on Thursday. You should absolutely lock that day on your calendar, as you will for sure want to pick either Luka Doncic or Donovan Mitchell on an elimination game. There is a good chance that is the only game that day, considering the other three series (Raps/76ers, Heat/Hawks. and Suns/Pelicans) all could be over in 5 depending on how the next days go.




Comments

  1. Halfway point and still no greens. With Alex getting a green from KAT last night there are now only 2 who've never tasted green and LMV at least has the dignity of not having any reds either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at the Bulls game and guess who I picked........... 8 PAR at half I'd be amazed if this does not turn out to be yet another red.

      Delete
    2. At least he did quite better in the second half. I also had him, as I couldn't wait for the next game just in case the Nets are still alive. I'd rather pick Irving for G5 than Lavine, but it would be more difficult if DDR was still involved

      Delete
  2. Luka was clearly not 100% even though he reached 30. In hindsight, should have let him continue to rest. Personally beforehand, I was hoping he joined G3, but when they decided to rest him and won G3, I thought he better rest G4 too, so that’s plenty of rest before G5. I have to agree with Stephen A. Smith, milk Brunson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea who wins Jazz or Mavs so I’m dedicated to not touching that series at all, not even in a game 7 unless I have to.

      Delete
  3. I’m super worried about the Suns. If the Pelicans can put together a couple more games similar to today they’ll win this series. If all comes down to Chris Paul. He needs to be great every game from here on out. That 4 pointer stinker ain’t gonna cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got irving tonight Tomorows pick tough either EdwARDS OR Valnscious ? who should i take tomorow ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every single year I pick a team to lose in the first round that at least advances to the conference finals if not further. Eyery year.

    This time around, it looked like a good idea that the Mavs, homecourt in the playoffs for the first time since 2011, and Doncic out for at least a few games, might get upset by Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert and the experienced Jazz. The upset in g1 seemed to show that it was a good idea to start picking Mavs players early on.

    Now I only have Luka Doncic left (and can hope for another 8/11 night from Maxi Kleber), and the Mavs look like a surefire tip for round 2. Who could wait there? Booker-less Suns, that´s who. I kind of see the Mavericks in the conference finals. Great for the Mavs, bad for my DTTF.

    Three tied series in the West is a very difficult for us. Interesting but difficult.

    Let´s go Mavs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two players that's it! Nearly everyone on Durant and those who already picked him are all on Irving. That means everyone is either getting red or green (if there was a tie then would everyone get yellow? This won't matter though since they are 15 PAR apart) Guess which color I'm getting? RED
    Irving has NO HEART NONE! Durant was only +4 in G3 but will be a lot more above Irving in G4. Loss of ? FOUR reds vs ZERO greens TWO WEEKS IN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% Red and Green. Christmas coming early this year!

      Delete
    2. 55-30 so a loss of 25 tonight, net loss of 21 from the reverse order. Good news though I had Durant in FP so he may give me my first bullzye (FP version of green) unless Doncic ends up higher.

      Delete
  7. keep eye on LeVine tomorow May have covid ..again 3rd time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was going to split my picks for the 1st time, Vucevic in one game and LaVine in the other one. But it will be Vucevic on both. Ingram today, as I still trust the Suns to advance. I prefer to wait for the Grizzlies-Wolves, as I already picked Edwards. Probably KAT for game6

      Delete
    2. And also MEM-MIN might be the only game to be played on Friday, if I am not mistaken

      Delete
    3. Oh no we know what's coming a mega game for KAT since I have him tonight.

      Delete
  8. Hunter last night..wow I got lucky with that pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. picked Valenscious last night he did good but everyone else in my league did great Tonight was going to take LeVine but hes out .Was thinking Gordan on Denver but Ill take Klay Thompson or Poole GS has 5 good options

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you ever consider a warrior here in the first round? Gotta save em all!

      Delete
    2. because there was nobody else worth taking and i was right.Also GS has 5 options which is tough to always get

      Delete
  10. Got 41 from Vucevic and I'll take it and I'd feel really good about getting blue (Greek freak got 45), however ONE person managed to save Jokic. I'm hoping Jokic is at or below his G1 and 2 totals which were also 41 but those were in GS where G5 is so there is hope. Come on Warriors rout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jokic already reaches 42 before the middle of the 3rd quarter!

      Delete

Post a Comment