AGAINST THE GRAIN: Blaze Your Own Trail

Picking a Sixer is going to be the norm across all leagues as they trail 0-1 in that series. However, don't count them out just yet. Embiid has yet to assert his dominance & Jimmy Butler did not play well. The East is wide open as far as who makes it to both the next round & then the Finals so let's not get too pick crazy here. So on to going against the grain with the other series on the slate tomorrow... 

Denver's impressive Game 7 victory has them in a home court position once again, which is a big advantage to that team & puts them ahead of the Blazers slightly in my power rankings. The big reason why picking from this series makes sense, is that whoever wins this series will ultimately lose next round to either the Rockets or the Warriors. So I'm advising a contrarian pick of Al-Farouq Aminu who should be looking at solid minutes & also won't jeopardize a big multiplier pick you'd like to hold onto for those playing in that format.

Aminu was good for about 30 minutes of game time & 20-30 PRA throughout the last round. Personally, I'm picking Jimmy Butler as I expect a bounce-back performance, but the logic is sound as to why Aminu may be a better option, especially because I'll be two Sixers' picks deep in a series they could def win & even move onto the Finals.

As always, I'll edit this post tomorrow night with the RESULTS of how this AGAINST THE GRAIN pick worked out! 


-------------------------------------

RESULT: Well Aminu stunk it up with only 10 PRA. However, the Blazers did lose & everyone who picked a Philly player (including me) has to deal with that series now being tied & it truly being a toss up. I'm really happy with my high total from Jimmy Butler, but I would have much rather had a mediocre score from a Blazer. 20 PRA from Hood or 33 PRA from Kanter would have been nice. Aminu will probably be better in every other game this series. He & Harkless were just awful & a big congrats to Denver for the W!

Comments

  1. I have the Raptors as my favourite team to go to the Finals in the Eastern Conference, as long as Kawhi is healthy. And Marc does a great job against opposing centers. So I will pick a Sixer here. Anyway I prefer Embiid, Butler and Simmons at home, and Tobias Harris has been much better on the road. So he gets my pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm rolling with Jimmy Butler tonight. I was also considering Tobias Harris, but ultimately decided on Butler. I'd rather wait and see one game in Portland vs. Denver before deciding anything. Those two teams are probably the closest to each other in this round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense. I’m with ya on that, but still had to make an Against The Grain pick as per my column. LOL

      Delete
  3. I have the Tor vs. Phi series going 5 games. Den vs. Por going 7 games. There are enough playable 76ers to warrant picking them now. Harris for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My logic for this contrarian choice was confirmed as the Blazers lost & Philly won. Just turns out Aminu wasn't the best Blazer to pick.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment