The Psychology of LeBron

I am not supposed to write a post before the playoffs, but I've been itching to post this for months. Here we go...

Lost...

When LeBron left Cleveland, many were broken-hearted. I am sure this applied most to Cleveland, but as an NBA fan outside the United States, I saw this true as well to Cavaliers fans in many parts of the globe. They were put in a reflective mode: am I really a fan of LeBron, or the Cavaliers that had LeBron? After that, you'd be lucky to find anyone outside Cleveland who still remained a Cavs fan. Some die-hard LeBron fans followed him to Miami, but some did not.


When LeBron left Cleveland, many were angered and turned to hate. Cleveland sure did. Remember "Cavs for Mavs" in 2011?  Scorned and bitter. 'Nuff said.

When LeBron left Cleveland, many were ashamed to had been LeBron fans. Non-LeBron fans were taunting LeBron fans, especially within groups of friends. Nobody wanted to be linked with the big bad wolf. I have a friend who was a die-hard LeBron fan, bought his merchandise and all. Now he follows Kevin Durant. I have a nephew I like to gift shoes, but I never wanted him to have LeBron shoes for fear of being bullied at school.

And...

LeBron's popularity plummeted. He was still the best baller on the planet, but you know Thanos was deemed the most powerful force in the universe. All these had made LeBron the villain. For a time I thought LeBron has accepted that, especially as he mustered to block away everything else to win two straight championships in Miami. But he really didn't want that villain tag. He wanted to be the hero. Yes maybe he was a hero in Miami, but to the rest of the world he wasn't. (Dr. Doom is a hero in Latveria, btw.) He realized he did not want to be the bad guy. He is a father -- he wanted to be a superhero father. Remember that superhero mask he wore? That was not an accident. Deep inside, LeBron wanted people to see the hero in him.

Did it feel good when the Avengers (San Antonio Spurs) defeated the villain? Yes. LeBron was Loki, LeBron was Ultron, LeBron was going to be Thanos.

There was one logical thing he had to do.

Found...

When LeBron came back to Cleveland, many rejoiced! Cleveland sure did. Here is that prodigal son who came back and was embraced back into the family. Those in Cleveland who hated him love him now. Hope is back. LeBron will end the drought.

Many NBA fans who hated him, hates him less now. Much less. Heck even some don't hate him anymore. I don't hate him anymore. If I have not been planted as a Dirk-Mavs fan, I would have been a LeBron fan nowadays. I am rooting for him to get Cleveland a championship (after Dirk hangs his shoes of course). That nephew I have, I want him now to get LeBron shoes! I want to get my own son LeBron shoes (once he gets big enough to wear a pair).

LeBron is a hero once again! Just the way he likes it.

Comments

  1. Interesting read buddy. I'm really looking forward to Drive this year & hoping it happens as I know they sometimes take years off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. i can already see day1 hot pick curry. not that he should be. gsw drawing thunder or spurs round 1 is going to be fun!

      Delete
  2. when will we know if DTTF is happening or not??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we will know only when it's up, usually after the last regular season game.

      Autotrader renewed their contract with the NBA just recently, so most prolly we'll get DTTF for years to come

      Delete
  3. no, lbj is just a dog lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment